To replace the light battalions, a regiment of Tyrolean Jagers was formed in 1801, three battalions each of six companies. Prior to this date, Jagers (riflemen) had been deployed in individual companies, with the 46th regiment two six company battalions, and a four-company rifle battalion recruited from the Tyrol, which traditionally supplied the army's riflemen. The new unit was numbered 64 and styled the Tyroler-Jager-Regiment, its personnel coming from the previous Tyrolean Sharpshooters, d'Aspre and Le Loup Frei-Corps and the 46th's Tyroleans. The Inhaber was the Marquis de Chasteler, commander of the Tyrol area, but after its loss in 1805 the designation became Jager-Regiment Chasteler. Uniformed similarly to the light infantry, they wore grey with green facings and helmet crest and black leatherwork; officers carried grenadier sabres, and at least in part were armed with the 1798 rifle.
In 1808 nine 'divisions' of Jagers were formed, four in Bohemia, two each in Austria and Moravia and one in Inner Austria. Each had a peacetime establishment of a staff officer , two assistant surgeons, three quartermaster staff, two Hauptleute (captain or captain-lieutenant), two Oberleutnants, and Unterleutnants, four Oberjagers and 16 Unterjagers, (NCOs), four hornists, two pioneers, 240 Jagers and six servants. On December 1st , 1808 each 'division' was expanded into six-company battalion, each company with two officers, seven NCOs, ten Patrouillefuhrers ('patrol ;eaders', equivalent to corporals), a hornist and between 50 and 60 men; in wartime each battalion was expanded to 860 men.
Jagers wore pike grey breeches and single breasted jacket, grass green collar, cuffs and turnbacks, yellow buttons bearing the battalion number, and black 'Corsican hat' (Korsehut) with a feather and a leather chinstrap; this 'round hat' with an upturned brim had a 6.5cm high brassshield specified, bearing the battalion number, but this is not shown by all sources. Hornists* had grass green wings laced white. Officers wore cocked hats with gold lace and loop, and gold horn turnback badges; field officers had the usual sword belts and gold cuff lace, leatherwork for lower ranks being black. Their breeches were pike grey with gold braid thigh knots and 1.5cm wide stripes. Overcoats for 'other ranks' were dark 'mixed grey' with six buttons, for officers of dark 'Moorish grey' with gass green collar and cuffs. NCOs had black and gold sword knots and light yellow gloves, Oberjagers carrying 'Spanish reed' canes, Unterjagers and Stabstrompeters hazel canes with black straps. Cadets had gloves and sword knots.
Note: Jager hornist (illustration bottm left), showing rear of equipment and design of 'wings'; the horn was brass, with cords of mixed black and yellow
(Print by Ottenfeld)