web space | free hosting | Business WebSite Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting

AUSTRIA

Background

The Cavalry

The Artillery

Organisation & Tactics

Arms & Equipment

Flags & Standards

The Infantry - Uniforms

The Grenz (Cont'd)

In peacetime the Grenzers wore their ordinary brown coat, a felt cap (Klobuk), and ordinary trousers. When mobilised, the official uniform was white waistcoat and breeches. The 1797 mobilisation of composite battalions had white buttons, 'German' cuffs and facings as follows:

Szekler Btn., rose pink
Transylvanian (Siebenburgische), parrot green
Banalisten, dark brown
Slavonier (Brooder, Peterwardeiner and Gradiscaner), pale red (mauve)
Warasdiner, crab red
1st Karlstadt (Licaner and Otocaner), violet
2nd Karlstadt (Szluiner and Oguliner), orange yellow
Banater, crimson
and the two composite sharpshooter battalions, violet.

In 1808 the difference between ordinary ('Haus') and field uniform was suspended, though the white uniform was apparently retained by some despite the regulations which authorised, a shako, dark brown infantry coat with regimental facings, and sky blue Hungarian breeches. Knotel, for example, lists for 1812 the 6th, 12th, 13th and 15th in brown, and the 5th, 7th-9th, 14th, 16th and 17th white, with facings as above.

Issued equipment included a canvas haversack, cloth mittens, and forage cap, but depended upon availability; black leather equipment was often carried instead of white. NCOs had leather gloves and sword knots. The traditional short pikes were no longer carried; in 1805 the sharpshooters carried sabres on shoulder belts. In 1809 their equipment included carbine and bayonette with black leather sabre belts. Red cloaks were an unusual distinction.

In addition there existed a regiment of Grenz Hussars; and a battalion of pontoneers, the Czaikisten, who wore blue faced crab red, their coats originally cut loose to facilitate rowing with oars, Hungarian breeches and black leatherwork. In 1809 their blue Hungarian jackets had red facings and blue collar with red patch, sky blue breeches with the usual Hungarian braid, and a shako with black and yellow pompom and a brass anchor badge.

The 1805 Uniform

Emphasis continued to be placed upon a smart appearance, ranks from Felwebel upwards being urged to set an example, and never to appear in a uniform other than that prescribed by regulations or mixed with civilian clothing. Officers were urged to dress with propriety and to eschew ostentation and forreign styles, though variations of officers' uniforms were not regarded with as much disfavour as before. No officer or soldier was to move beyond his company area in wartime without his sidearm.


1805


1.) Officer, Hungarian grenadiers, 1805
2.) Hungarian Grenadier, 1805
3.) Officer, Hungarian grenadiers, 1805 (rear view)


In 1805 the 'queue' was abolished, and hair powder was restricted to officers for grand parades, galas and appearances at court.

The infantry helmet had proved only a limited success; instead of the intended 12 years, it was lasting only six, and was thus more expensive than planned. It had proved tiring to wear and of limited protection; and as many returning prisoniers of war needed new headgear, it was resolved to issue a new and cheaper item. Despite the new regulation, the old helmet remained in use with many regiments for several years, being worn side by side with the new shako at least as late as the 1809 campaign.