The Infantry - The Uniforms of the Landwehr Infantry - (Cont'd)
The arrival of General von Bulow. This painting shows Prussian troops cheering the arrival of General von Bulow after they had routed the French army at waterloo. Note: The swallows nests on the shoulders of the Landwehr drummers in the foreground.
by: Richard Knotel
The Infantry - The Uniforms of the Jager Infantry
The 10 company 'Jager' Regiment had a wartime strength of almost 2,000 men, with a green uniform faced red and a green plumed 'Casquet'; the bicorn was introduced in 1797. After 1806 the remnant formed the 1st Guard and 2nd East Prussian 'Jager' battalions, to which the Silesian 'Schutzen' (sharpshooter) battalion was added as the 3rd in 1813. They wore infantry uniforms in green with red facings (Silesians, black piped red) and shakos with cockades; the Guard battalions the 'Guard Star' badge and yellow loops on the collar and cuffs. In 1814 a Guard 'Schutzen' battalionwas formed, uniformed like the Silesian but with the 'Guard Star' and lace. All battalions had black leather equipment.
In addition to the above, there existed volunteer companies of 'Friewilligen Jager' or riflemen, which were attached to some of the regular infantry (and cavalry) formations; the following infantry regiments, for example, had volunteer 'Jager' companies in the Waterloo Campaign of 1815: 2nd, 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 24th, 25th, 27th and 28th. Generally speaking, the volunteer 'Jager' companies wore dark green jackets, with the facing colours of the Regiment to which they were attached; Equipment was usually of the same pattern as that of the infantry, but of black leather, and sometimes brass powder-flasks were worn attached to the front of the cross-belts.
( 1.) Silesian Fusilier, (c.1810); ( 2.) Silesian Fusilier, (c.1812); ( 3.) East Prussian Jager, (c.1813); ( 4.) East Prussian Jager NCO, (c.1808); ( 5.) Cornet of Silesian Fusiliers, (c.1814).