web space | free hosting | Web Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting

PRUSSIA


Russisch-Deutschen-Legion:
This figure is wearing
the Russian uniform.

Background

The Cavalry

The Artillery

Organisation &Tactics

Arms & Equipment

Flags & Standards

Bibliography & Sources


Russisch-Deutschen-Legion:
Fahnentrager.
Regular infantry, campaign
dress. He is shown with the colour unfurled and the case is carried over the left shoulder.
He is armed with a sword and his rank is indicated by the NCO's lace
on his collar and cuffs.

The Army

The Infantry - The Kaiserlich-Russich-Deutsche-Legion

The Legion was raised on September 6th, 1812 at Revel (modern Talinn in Estonia __ opposite Helsinki, across the Gulf of Finland) for service in the Russian Army. The officers of the Legion were ex-Prussian Army officers who had offered their services to the Czar when their country became an ally of France, and the men were maily Prussian soldiers captured during the 1812 campaign, together with prisoners of war from the contingents of the various German states also allied to France.

The Legion had an initial strength of one battalion of infantry, one Jager company, one Hussar regiment, and a battery of horse artillery, but its strength was gradually increased as more prisoners, deserters and finally volunteers were added, until at the end of 1813 it had a strength of sevn infantry battalions, one Jager company and two Hussar regiments (the second raised during 1813), a battery of foot artillery, two batteries of horse artillery, and a company of artillery train. The infantry battalions were divided into two brigades. 1st and 2nd, and the Legion was approximately the strength of an entire Russian division at this period of the Napoleonic Wars.

On the 2nd of June 1814 the Legion was trasferred to the Prussian service, and on the 29th of March 1815, was absorbed into the Prussian Army as the 30th (1st Brigade) and 31st (2nd Brigade) Regiments of the Line. The cavalry became the 8th Hussars. At this date the foot battery was equipped with 8 somewhat worn British 9lb. guns from England, while the 2 horse batteries had six 6lb. guns and two 4 inch howitzers supplied by the Russian St. Petersburg arsenal.



From the Left: Jager of the 1st Brigade, field dress, Officer of the Horse Artillery, Musketeer of the 2nd Brigade, full dress (summer).